Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Celebration

"There is only one happiness in life:
to love and be loved."
-George Sands





Beautiful flowers, a celebration dinner. 
Memories shared with our children of our special day.
A day spent remembering, honoring. Our anniversary.

Elaina asks, "Did he kiss you mom?  On the lips?"
And Isaac replies, "Doh!  That's what sweethearts do!"
"Ewe," captures what Nate is thinking, his expression says it all.




 Since Saul had to work, I awoke early to prepare a special breakfast:
Double Berry Parfaits
Secret Recipe Muffins
Sausage and Eggs
Mango and Orange Juice (his favorite)



All four kids had crammed into the kitchen to "help" make our anniversary breakfast.
"Why do you have a am be-bersary?' ponders E.
(thinking...)
"Who cares.  At least we get cake!"  Isaac is sure that could be the only reason to celebrate.

Twelve years.  Gone like the blink of an eye.
I married my best friend, promised to love, to honor...
To esteem, to admire. Devote myself to him, and only him.
"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking,
it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."
1 Corinthians 13:4-7 

To have, to hold...
To start a new life, joined into a new family.
To leave.  To cleave.
"Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife,
and they shall become one flesh"
Genesis 2:24


In good times...
There have been lots of those. 
Times with good health, great connections. 
A strong sense of closeness.
Times where laughter, fun, and happiness abound.
Times with financial easiness, times of plenty.
Love and devotion seem effortless.
"The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
 3 he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
   for his name’s sake."
Psalm 23:1-3 

In bad times...
There have been those too. 
Times when everyday seems a struggle.
Where connecting and intimacy become suppressed,
whether by life or by circumstance.
Distance sneaks in.
"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,
whenever you face trials of many kinds,
 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.
4 Let perseverance finish its work
so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."
James 1:2-4 

In sickness and in health...
Times when we need each other most,
but feel guilty about our dependence.
Times riddled with pain, suffering, depression.
It's easy to commit to a life that is full of health and ease.
Wealth and fellowship.
When we are not challenged by interfering schedules,
diminishing resources, loss of dreams.
"Carry each other’s burdens,
and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ."
Galatians 6:2


Until death parts us...
From that balmy summer day of our wedding, to my very last breath.
"Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”
Mark 10:9

As a new bride, I really had no idea what marriage would look like.
I had a notion, a hope of what it would be.
Life hasn't been what I expected.  Or what I planned.
It has been better...

"No eye has seen, no ear has heard,
and no mind has imagined
what God has prepared for those who love Him"
1 Corinthians 2:9


Thank you Saul for 12 wonderful years!
For being my best friend, my love.
For listening, encouraging.
For nurturing and providing.
For laughing and smiling.
For memories to pass on to our children.
For walking alongside me in good times, loving me through bad ones.
For dreaming with me. 
For keeping your hope in the Lord.
You are loved beyond measure!





No comments: