Monday, April 23, 2012

Strawberry Walnut Salad

Just after Olivia was born, I became obsessed with Strawberries. 

Maybe it was a vitamin C deficiency, or just my crazy hormones, but I likened it as a need rather than a want. Like any good prenatal craving will do, it forced me to buy Strawberries for $6 a quart, in the middle of winter, when I could neither afford them or justify spending the money on the barely - ripe pinkish colored berries.

Then I was introduced to a lovely spinach salad which bragged of the delicious berries, walnuts, and salty Parmesan and I was in heaven.  This miraculous melding of nuts, cheese, and berry sweetness was perfection!  It got me thinking of ways I could combine the flavors in other ways, and thus was born the Strawberry Walnut Salad.

If you can call it a salad. 

Because it has no leafy greens or tangy dressing.  This is a salad you can eat for breakfast, and often we do (in the summer).  Usually alongside some ham and egg scrambles and toast.

Strawberry Walnut Salad


What You Need:
1 Qt. Strawberries, washed and sliced 
 1Pt. Raspberries, washed 
 honey to sweeten 
 1 C. Yogurt, we like Greek style or vanilla flavored will work too 
1/2-1/3 cups chopped walnuts 
 2 TBSP Wheat Germ


Layer the ingredients in a bowl, or individual serving bowls. 
 I never stir it together. 
Then it just becomes yogurt with nuts in it.
This amount easily serves our family of 6, as a side.

038


048

No comments: